Cooking Time: 1:15
Preparation Time: 0:40
- 200g pistachios, plus extra chopped pistachios to garnish
- 200g walnuts
- 100g caster sugar
- 3 tsp ground cinnamon
- 150g unsalted butter, melted
- 375g filo pastry
- HONEY SYRUP
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 2/3 cup boiling water
- 2/3 cup honey
- 2 lemons
- 2 cinnamon quills
- 12 cloves
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease a Pyrex Simply Store 23.4cm x 18.8cm x 6.8cm (2.6L/11 cup capacity) glass baking dish with melted butter.
- In a food processor, combine nuts, sugar and cinnamon and pulse to finely chop.
- Unwrap filo sheets and cut to fit dish snuggly. Cover with a damp tea towel.
- Layer one-third of the filo pastry in dish, brushing butter between each layer. Scatter half the nut mixture evenly over. Top with half the remaining pastry, brushing butter between each layer. Scatter over remaining nuts, top with remaining filo, brushing butter between each layer. Cover with the lid and chill for 10 minutes. Use a sharp knife to cut into 5cm diamonds, cutting through all the pastry layers.
- Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes or until golden. If the pastry is browning too quickly, cover loosely with foil.
- Meanwhile, for the honey syrup, peel zest from lemon and juice flesh. Combine sugar, water, honey, lemon zest, cinnamon and cloves in a Pyrex Simply Store (460ml/2 cup capacity) glass container. Stir to dissolve the sugar. Cover loosely with the lid. Microwave for 3 minutes on high. Add the lemon juice, stir through and set aside to cool.
- Remove and discard lemon zest, cinnamon quills and cloves from the syrup. Carefully and slowly pour syrup over baklava so it absorbs evenly. Set baklava aside at room temperature for 6 hours to cool completely (or overnight if possible). Scatter with extra pistachios if liked.
Tip – Baklava will keep in container at room temperature, covered with the lid for up to 3 days.